According to a 2012 report by the National Fire Protection Association, fire departments answer to an average of 72,000 carbon monoxide calls each year. Carbon Monoxide, or CO2, is a colorless, odorless gas by-product of burnt fuel. It’s commonly connected to wood stoves, car engines and other fire combustion sources along with gas or oil furnaces.
Why is Carbon Monoxide so important?
Not to be overly dramatic, but understanding the causes and ways to prevent excessive CO2 exposure is a matter of life and death. CO2 is among the leading ways of accidental poisoning deaths in the US*, and conditions of CO2 poisoning can be mistakenly labeled as the flu, viral infections and continuous fatigue, among many others. This makes CO2 poisoning a very serious concern for any Mobile homeowner. Serious poisoning takes place from breathing large concentrations of CO2, but poisoning has also been reported to occur over many months or years. Some indicators may include nausea, vomiting, flu-like symptoms, dizziness and fatigue.
So what can you do?
- Buy a CO2 detector for each room of your home. You can call Climate Control Service Experts to purchase one today.
- Batteries should be checked on a consistent basis for existing CO2 detectors. It's also recommended to replace the detector every 3-5 years.
- If you experience or have experienced any of the symptoms stated above, ask your doctor to test for carbon monoxide poisoning, and get a second opinion if necessary.
- Schedule routine gas furnace maintenance each year to guarantee no carbon monoxide leaks are present at the beginning of heating season.
- If your furnace is approaching the end of its working life, you may want to consider a proactive home furnace replacement service and upgrade to a brand new energy efficient furnace.
*emedicinehealth.com. Prevention information for Carbon Monoxide poisoning may be inaccurate or incomplete; none of these methods guarantee prevention of Carbon Monoxide poisoning.