Whether you add a sunroom, family room or other space to your house, being comfortable in your new space throughout the year is a priority. However, they can present a unique problem for comfort. This is since installing ductwork is costly. And that your heating and cooling system may not be able to handle the increased load, because it was sized without taking the addition into consideration.
One of the most affordable options is to get a mini-split. This system delivers energy-efficient heating and cooling, with no ductwork required. Discover more about mini-splits and how getting one for your addition could be a good fit.
All About Mini-Splits and How They Heat and Cool
A ductless mini-split, as they’re much like ducted heat pumps that southern homeowners have used for decades.
Heat pumps are highly energy efficient because they shift heat to make your room cozier. In reality, many have reached ENERGY STAR® certification, which could make you eligible for extra rebates and decrease your energy expenses for a long time.
Another special feature is zoned heating and cooling. Since each room often has its own indoor unit, you can set your preferred temperature from room to room. For example, a mini-split AC is very useful if you have a room with precise temperature needs, such as a home gym.
Why a Mini-Split is Worth It for Your Room
Installing a mini-split system is worth it for areas that don’t have ductwork. Here are several reasons why it’s better than installing ductwork and using your existing heating and cooling system.
- Installing ductwork is costly. Adding ductwork in your new addition can be costly. Although the exact cost will depend on your unique situation, it run thousands of dollars.
- Your existing home comfort system could become overworked. When your present heating and cooling system was installed, it was based on the square footage of your residence in advance of the addition. This may overwhelm your system and make it wear out faster.
- Your comfort could be impacted. Because your heating and cooling system is sized for precise square footage, your comfort could be reduced if your system has to manage a bigger space. Your heating and cooling could be less efficient, and your utility costs may get more expensive due to the system needing to turn on more often.
What Size Mini-Split You Need
Like regular systems, mini-splits come in varying sizes based on the square footage they’ll be heating and cooling. Here are three of the most popular sizes:
- 400-650 square feet – 12,000 BTU mini-split
- 600-1,000 square feet – 18,000 BTU mini-split
- 800-1,300 square feet – 24,000 BTU mini-split
When you work with our Experts at Climate Control Service Experts, we’ll help you choose the right size for your new space. And your wallet.
An ENERGY STAR mini-split unit can result in huge energy savings over its lifetime, which can be 20 years or longer when correctly tuned up. ENERGY STAR says installing one can save you 60% on heating and 30% on cooling, in comparison with an electric heating system and conventional air conditioner.
Trust Climate Control Service Experts for Your Mini-Split Installation
From addressing all your questions and helping you choose the ideal model to delivering Expert mini-split installation, Climate Control Service Experts can take care of all your mini-split needs. If you’re planning a home addition or recently wrapped one up, we can provide assistance. Reach us at 251-202-7503 right away to request a free consultation and estimate.