Your air conditioner’s purpose is keeping your home’s air cool, which means that any time you allow heat back in your home, you’re making the air conditioner work harder than it needs to. While the air conditioner is your main source for cooler air, there are a few things you can do, outside of air conditioner service, to help keep the Mobile heat out and help your air conditioner last through the final days of summer.
Here are a few tips from Climate Control Service Experts to help keep hot air outdoors:
- Block out the sun. A great deal of heat makes its way into your home through your windows. Keep it out by using solar screens, tinted windows and blackout curtains. At the very least, install blinds and keep them closed.
- Seal air leaks. The rooms in your home that are air conditioned should be as air-tight as possible. Inspect your crawlspace, basement or attic for major air holes like these in the building envelope. We can arrange for a sophisticated comfort performance assessment for you to identify leaks in walls, ceilings and ducts.
- Check for leaky doors and windows. Check your windows and doors and add or replace caulk or weather-stripping that may be torn or displaying signs of wear.
- Try no-cook or served-cold meals. Your stove and oven add a lot of heat in your home. Try some no-cook meals and use your microwave instead of your stove or oven.
- Run the dishwasher and dryer at night. Save any household activities that might produce heat for evenings after the temperature outside cools off. You can also let your dishes and clothes air dry and let those appliances rest.
- Provide window coverage outside the home. Awnings over windows and doors can help protect from the sun’s direct heat. Trees can also offer shade and block some of the heat.
- Get a free air conditioner consultation. The greatest impact on heat is a new air conditioning system evaluation. After finding out about new air conditioner systems, technology and options, the ideal option could simply be an air conditioner upgrade.
If you don’t feel like your home is keeping cool temperatures despite following the tips we noted, it may mean that you need air conditioner service or repair. Air conditioner maintenance is one of the best ways to ensure your equipment is running correctly and that you are getting top efficiency and results. Don’t stay uncomfortable longer than need be. Give Climate Control Service Experts in Mobile or set up an appointment online to have a pro check out your air conditioner and make sure it’s working correctly.