When rough weather heads our way, whether it’s forecasted or not, it can have a lot that comes with it. Staying safe and protecting your home are your top priorities, but did you know there are steps you can take to prep your air conditioner so that when the storm passes, your AC repair technician will give you the all-clear?
Taking even a small bit of time to think about your heating and cooling systems before the storm hits can help you protect from damage to your system when it’s all said and done. Then, when you schedule for an AC repair technician to check your system post-storm, they can probably provide you with good news that your prep paid off.
At Climate Control Service Experts, we recognize that there’s only so much prep work you can do to get ready for threatening weather, and time might not give you much warning, so we’ve put together a list of what you can do before and after a severe weather event occurs.
- Turn off your heating and cooling equipment. Power surges are common during rough weather, so be sure to turn off your system via your thermostat and your circuit breaker to make sure it is completely off.
- Cover the outdoor unit. Whether it’s a specific AC cover or simply a tarp, covering your system and securing the cover may keep away any debris that gets thrown around during bad weather. Just be sure you have turned the system totally off before covering it with anything.
- Prep your yard. Be sure all loose outdoor items such as grills, patio furniture and any yard tools are stored in a protected place so that they don’t get thrown around during the severe weather event.
- Clear the debris. Once it is alright to head outdoors, be sure any debris is cleared away from your outdoor unit.
- Damaged? If you notice any damage to your system or if it is sitting in standing water, call Climate Control Service Experts prior to turning on your air conditioner. We can properly check out your system and decide whether or not an AC repair is a necessity.
Of course we all hope that bad weather doesn’t hit us in Mobile, but we have to be ready if we want the best chance to avert any major damage or other concerns that may come with it. If you have any questions about how to best prep for bad weather in Mobile or want to know what our AC repair service consists of after the storm has gone through, give us a call at 251-202-7503 or schedule an appointment with Climate Control Service Experts through our online scheduler.