When rough weather heads our way, whether it’s forecasted or not, it can have a lot that comes with it. Staying safe and protecting your home are your top priorities, but did you know there are steps you can take to prep your air conditioner so that when the storm is over, your AC repair technician will give you the a-okay?
Taking even a small bit of time to think about your heating and cooling systems before the storm hits can help you protect from damage to your system when it’s all said and done. Then, when you schedule for an AC repair technician to check your system post-storm, they can probably provide you with good news that your preparations worked.
At Climate Control Service Experts Heating & Air Conditioning, we realize that there’s only so much prep work you can do to get ready for threatening weather, and time might not give you much notice, so we’ve put together a few tips of what you can do before and after a severe weather event occurs.
- Turn off your heating and cooling equipment. Power surges are typical during severe weather, so be sure to turn off your system via your thermostat and your circuit breaker to make sure it is totally off.
- Cover the outdoor unit. Whether it’s a specific AC cover or simply a tarp, covering your system and securing the cover may keep away any debris that gets thrown around during bad weather. Just make sure you have turned the system totally off in advance of covering it with anything.
- Prep your yard. Be sure all loose outdoor items such as grills, patio furniture and any yard tools are put away in a protected place so that they don’t get thrown around during the severe weather event.
- Clear the debris. Once it is safe to head outside, make sure any debris is cleared away from your outdoor unit.
- Damaged? If you locate any damage to your system or if it is sitting in standing water, call Climate Control Service Experts Heating & Air Conditioning prior to turning on your air conditioner. We can properly check out your system and determine whether or not an AC repair is a necessity.
Of course we all hope that severe weather doesn’t hit us in Mobile, but we have to be ready if we want the best chance to avoid any major damage or other concerns that can come with it. If you have any questions about how to best prepare for severe weather in Mobile or want to know what our AC repair service consists of after the storm has gone through, give us a call at 251-202-7503 or schedule an appointment with Climate Control Service Experts Heating & Air Conditioning through our online scheduler.