Every year over 20,000 people end up in the ER because of carbon monoxide poisoning. This odorless and colorless gas is known as the silent killer because it’s virtually undetectable without a carbon monoxide detector.
Carbon monoxide, as confirmed by the CDC, is produced by stoves, gas ranges, boilers, furnaces, and fireplaces so it only makes sense that carbon monoxide poisoning climbs during the heating months when people are trying to warm their homes. To help keep your home safe, Climate Control Service Experts Heating & Air Conditioning is here with a couple tips to safety heat your home.
- Install a CO detector on each floor of your home and replace the batteries yearly.
- Keep all likely sources of combustion, such as clothing, rugs, or bedding, a minimum of three feet away from space heaters, stoves, furnaces or fireplaces.
- Before lighting a fire in the fireplace, always check to verify the chimney damper is open and unclogged.
- Don’t leave portable heaters or fireplaces alone. Shut off space heaters and be sure all embers in the fireplace are totally extinguished before leaving either heating source unattended.
- Space heaters should always be situated on the floor, and on a hard, fire-resistant surface, like concrete or tile. Keep kids and furbabies away from space heaters.
- When buying a new space heater, invest in a model that turns off automatically if the heater falls over.
- Do not use a stove to heat your home.
- Have fireplaces, chimneys, gas or oil furnaces, and coal and wood stoves professionally inspected and cleaned yearly.
The best thing you can do for your heating system is to make sure it’s not only ready to keep you warm all winter but also safe, is to set-up your fall tune-up. During your furnace tune-up, Climate Control Service Experts Heating & Air Conditioning will check to make sure your furnace is operating safely with a full multi-point inspection and cleaning. Call 251-202-7503 today and ask how you can save on a heating tune-up through November 25th.