Tips to Safely Heat Your Home This Winter
Annually, over 20,000 people go to the ER as a result of carbon monoxide poisoning. This colorless, odorless gas is called the silent killer because it’s virtually undetectable without a carbon monoxide detector.
Carbon monoxide, as confirmed by the CDC, is put off by gas ranges, furnaces, fireplaces, stoves, and boilers so it only makes sense that carbon monoxide poisoning climbs during the winter months when people are trying to heat their homes. To help keep your family safe, Stallion Heating and Air Conditioning is here with a couple tips to safety heat your home.
- Install a CO detector on all floors of your home and change the batteries yearly.
- Keep all possible sources of combustion, such as paper, clothing, bedding, or rugs, a minimum of three feet away from furnaces, space heaters, fire places, or stoves.
- Before lighting a fire in the fireplace, be sure to check to verify the chimney damper is open and unobstructed.
- Don’t leave portable heaters or fireplaces unattended. Turn off space heaters and ensure all embers in the fireplace are totally extinguished before going to bed or leaving home.
- Space heaters should always be positioned on the floor, and on a hard, nonflammable surface, like ceramic tile. Keep young ones and pets away from space heaters.
- When investing in a new space heater, purchase a model that powers off automatically if the heater tumbles over.
- Never use a cooking range to warm your home.
- Have all stoves, fireplaces, chimneys, and all types of furnaces professionally checked and cleaned every year.
The best thing you can do for your furnace is to be sure it’s not only ready to keep your home warm all winter but also safe, is to schedule your fall tune-up. During your fall tune-up, Stallion Heating and Air Conditioning will check to make sure your heating system is operating safely with a full multi-point inspection and cleaning. Call 215-259-5850 today and ask how you can save on a furnace tune-up through November 25th.
Zoning Systems: Control the Temperature in Every Room
Central heating and air systems have reinvented home comfort and made it possible to stay perfectly comfy in any season or climate. But while centralized systems provide a convenient way to regulate the temperature, they occasionally fall short when it comes to evenly distributing heated or cooled... Continue reading
Eight Frequent Heating Fallacies Debunked
There are many myths out there about home heating that lead to confusion and inefficient furnace operation. It’s time to set the record straight. Here, the heating authorities at Service Experts Heating, Air Conditioning & Plumbing reveal the truth behind the eight most common myths to keep... Continue reading
Eight Upgrades to Boost Your Home HVAC System
During the chilly days and nights in the U.S., there’s no better way to enhance your home’s comfort than with a few effective upgrades. It’s not just about keeping the house toasty warm as the snow begins to fall—it’s about maximizing efficiency and cleaning the very air you breathe.... Continue reading