One of the most routine issues that we encounter at Climate Control Service Experts in Mobile is filthy air filters. They may seem like a very insignificant piece of the big home comfort puzzle, but the role they play in helping us create comfort is a lot larger than most homeowners recognize. Regardless if it is cooling season or heating season, having a filthy air filter can cause a number of issues for your heating and AC system.
So what exactly happens when you don’t remember to change your air filter? Here are a just a handful of the side effects you may encounter:
- Reduced airflow. This is easily the biggest issue you’ll recognize when your home’s air filter is severely clogged. The longer the air filter goes without being swapped out, the more dirt, dust and other particles build up. Of course, this hinders air from passing through the filter as it should, meaning your system is working quite a bit harder to provide you with the same amount of air.
- Frozen coil. If your system is running harder due to a clogged air filter, you also run the chance of having the cooling coil freeze inside of the system, because it’s running overtime to give you cool air.
- Total loss of cooling or heating. This is also a probability if your air filter goes neglected for months and months on end. In essence, you will have worked your system so hard that something gives out or wears out and needs to be replaced or serviced.
- Short cycling. Short cycling means the heating and cooling system turns on and off all the time. When your system short cycles, it may overheat or break down from the added work, which could end up causing damage to your system.
In addition to these, you can also expect:
- A diminished equipment lifecycle
- Lower energy efficiency
- Lower air quality
- More dust and debris
- Lack of comfort
If you’re not sure when you last changed your air filter, it may be a good time to do so in order to get around any potential damage that could come with a clogged air filter. If you don’t know where your home’s air filter is located or you simply have a question about the various air filters available, give Climate Control Service Experts a call at 251-202-7503 or schedule an appointment online.