Carbon Monoxide: Take the Proper Steps to Detect There are a lot of potential gases that may be present in your home. Natural gas, radon, and gases and vapors that come from household furnishings, carpeting, flooring and paints. But none of these gases are as harmful as carbon monoxide. Carbon monoxide is potentially a matter of life and death, so it should not be treated lightly. What is extremely concerning is that it is hard to detect because it is colorless, odorless, tasteless, and initially non-irritating. A by-product of burnt fuel, carbon monoxide can make its way into your home when the heat exchanger on a gas furnace cracks, allowing carbon monoxide to leak. Depending on the size of the leak and the circulation in a home, carbon monoxide can quickly be fatal, or the toxic gas could cause symptoms that have been misdiagnosed as the flu, viral infections, and chronic fatigue syndrome, among other things. There is no reason to risk carbon monoxide poisoning. Here are some steps you can take: If you don’t have a carbon monoxide detector in your home, call Climate Control Service Experts Heating & Air Conditioning in Mobile to purchase one. Ask our experts about affordable WiFi carbon monoxide detectors like the Nest Protect. If you have a carbon monoxide detector, check or replace the batteries regularly. Testing should be done every few months, and the detector should be replaced every 3 to 5 years. If you hear the carbon monoxide detector alarm go off, or experience flu-like or other symptoms described above, ask your doctor to test for carbon monoxide poisoning. Carbon monoxide doesn’t have to be scary and with the proper steps you can be certain to receive alerts if there is any sign of carbon monoxide. Take the necessary steps and call Climate Control Service Experts in Mobile at 251-202-7503 to learn more.